Acknowledgements: Complete citations and creative rights for all media used to create this video:
Disclaimer: All of the sources included in this site adhere to established guidelines on Creative Rights. None of the items used are in the Public Domain or licensed through Creative Commons. Other items included in this site that fall under copyright protection follow the guidelines under Fair Use as published in the “Documentary Filmmaker’s Guidelines for Best Practices in Fair Use” which include:
- attributing where the work came from [either on screen or in the credits];
- trying to make material from a range of sources, not just one source; and
- making sure that we are only using as much as is absolutely necessary to make our point.
Materials labelled “Fair Use” appear to be subject to copyright protection, but the use here passes the test for Fair Use, which means giving a positive answer to the two questions most used by the courts to determine “fair use:”
- Did the unlicensed use “transform” the material taken from the copyrighted work by using it for a different purpose than that of the original, or did it just repeat the work for the same intent and value as the original?
- Was the material taken appropriate in kind and amount, considering the nature of the copyrighted work and of the use?
This use of the materials is transformative, using it for a different purpose than that of the original. The material was also taken in appropriate kind and amount, considering the nature of the copyrighted work and of the use.
Images–All images are personal photographs/videos with the following exceptions:
Smith, Carl. Untitled. December 31, 2014. Pencil-Ink-Colored Pencil Drawing. carlosmitini, Instagram. Web. [Fair Use–sailing image on opening shot]
Smith, Jacob. Untitled. 2014. Drawing-Painting. Personal Collection. Print. [Fair Use–Riku with Starfruit]
Smith, Carl. Untitled. April 2014. Photo. Facebook. Web. [Fair Use–wrestling meme]
Garcia, Carlos. Untitled. December 2014. Photo. Facebook. Web. [Fair Use–Carl Smith fight promo shot]
José María Pérez Nuñez. Superhero. February 14, 2014. Photo. Flickr. Web. [Header for DSP area — Creative Commons]
Lalone, Phil. Jacob Smith wrestling. 2014. Video. Facebook. [Fair Use]
Lovell, Parker. Carl Smith wrestling. Unknown. 2011. Video. Facebook. [Fair Use]
City of Giraffes. “Friendship Strings.” YouTube. Uploaded September 23, 2011. Web. Accessed December 30, 2014. [Fair Use]
The link is to City of Giraffes “Friendship Strings” on YouTube. Jordan Henrie (band member) posted it on his YouTube account it is from The Manhattan Stampede EP. City Of Giraffes were: Carl Smith / Jordan Henrie / Connor Foley / Brandon Birkner / Cory Cooper / Jr Green.
Bacharach, Burt and Hal David. “(They Long To Be) Close To You.” Perf. Tawnya Smith. 2014. MP3. [Fair Use]